Due to COVID-19, the Clerk’s Office strongly encourages all voters to utilize vote by mail for this election. It will keep you, our staff, and the community safe and healthy. All voters are eligible to vote by mail.
All vote by mail ballots come with tracking, meaning you will know when your ballot is en route to you and when it has been received by the Clerk's Office.
To request your vote by mail ballot now, click here. Once you have requested your ballot, you will receive a confirmation email with the following information.
- Dates & Deadlines
September 24th is the first day the Clerk’s Office can begin mailing Vote by Mail ballots
October 29th is the deadline to request a Vote by Mail ballot but we STRONGLY encourage you to request your ballot before the 29th
November 3rd is the last day a Vote by Mail ballot can be returned
- You can return your ballot to a drop box by 7pm on November 3rd or,
- Mail it to the Clerk's Office with a postmark no later than November 3rd
- Completing Your Ballot
Read the ballot carefully, noting how many candidates you may vote for per race and check the back of your ballot for additional races. We encourage you to vote the whole ballot.
Fill in the oval next to the candidate(s) of your choice completely with black ink.
If you make a mistake on your ballot, mark the spoiled box on the back of the orange envelope and send the ballot back to the Clerk’s Office. If we have time to get it to you in the mail, we’ll send you a new ballot. If Election Day is too close we strongly encourage you to take the spoiled ballot to your home polling location or one of the 12 universal polling locations, surrender it, and vote in person.
Once your ballot is complete, place it in the orange envelope, sign the ballot certification, and seal.
If you are having your ballot hand delivered by someone other than yourself, you and the person delivering the ballot must complete the Affidavit of Delivery on the outside of the orange return envelope.
- Write-In Instructions
Illinois requires write-in candidates to declare their candidacy to be a valid write-in candidate. If you would like a list of write-in candidates, please contact the Clerk’s Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 217-384-3724.
- Returning Your Ballot
After you have completed your ballot, refold it and insert it into the orange envelope addressed to the Clerk’s Office. Make sure you sign the envelope! If you forget the Clerk’s Office will not be able to cast your ballot until you provide a valid signature.
There are two ways to return your ballot.
You can drop it in any post office mailbox – postage is paid!
You can also deposit your ballot in one of the secure drop boxes throughout the county. These are ¼ inch steel, highly secure drop boxes that are permanent to their location. The contents are picked up daily by two Election Judges, one from each party.
DROP BOX LOCATIONS
- Brookens Administration Building, 1776 E Washington St, Urbana, in the circle drive
- Champaign Public Library, 200 W Green, Champaign, north of the mailbox on State Street
- Champaign Public Library-Douglass Branch, 504 E Grove, Champaign, in the circle drive
- Champaign-Urbana Public Health District, 201 W Kenyon Rd, Champaign, in the east parking lot
- Sholem Pool, 2205 Sangamon Dr, Champaign, at the top of the circle drive
- Urbana Public Library, 210 W Green, Urbana, in the circle drive
- University of Illinois Quad, 1401 W Green St, northwest corner, accessible by foot or bike only
Drive & Drop Dates, Times, & Locations
Every Saturday in October from 1-3PM at these locations. Drive up and drop you ballot off with Election Judges.
- Lake of the Woods, Elk’s Pavilion, 301 Senna Drive, Mahomet, IL 61853
- Rantoul Township Building, 121 N Garrard, Rantoul, IL 61866
- Prince of Peace Lutheran Church, 802 East Douglas Street, St. Joseph, IL 61873
- Tolono Public Library, 111 East Main Street, Tolono, IL 61880
- Tracking Your Ballot
You can track the status of your ballot here. You will clearly see when your ballot has been received by the Clerk’s Office and cast in the tabulator.
If you have any questions about your ballot, don’t hesitate to contact the Clerk’s Office at email@example.com or 217-384-3724.