Here is a quick explanation of the types of documents that satisfy the identity verification and the address verification required to register to vote.
- Verify Your Identity
In order to register to vote, the Clerk's Office must verify your identity and your address. These items are acceptable identity verification.
- Government issued (from any state) photo ID, that is under current issue
- College or high school issued photo ID, current issue
- Bus pass with a photo ID, current issue
- Work ID is acceptable as well
- Verify Your Address
These items are acceptable address verification. Your ID verification cannot also be your address verification. They have to be separate documents.
- Lease, current
- University of Illinois Residence Hall assignment, paper or digital, current semester
- Utility bill, last 30 days
- Bank statement, last 30 days
- Government check, last 30 days
- Paycheck, last 30 days
- Shipping notification, last 30 days
- Car registration, if the car was registered in the last 30 days
A digital version is acceptable as long as the voter’s name, address, and an “issue date” are all be readable on the digital document.