Election Judge Information
To apply to be an Election Judge, complete the application at this Link.
What Are Judges Of Election?
Judges of election are responsible for the administration of election procedures in the polling place on election day. They are in the position of ensuring that the election process is administered fairly and in accordance with our laws.
What Are The Qualifications Necessary To Be An Election Judge?
- Be a citizen of the United States.
- Be of good repute and character.
- Be able to speak, read and write the English language.
- Be of good understanding and capable.
- Not be a candidate for any office in the election and not be elected committeeman.
- Need to be registered to vote in the county.
- Each Election Judge is required to declare their party preference so they can be assigned accordingly. (See how are judges selected below.)
What Are Some Of The Duties Of The Judges Of Election?
- Open and close the polls;
- Be responsible for all election materials;
- Ensure that only qualified voters are permitted to vote and that each qualified voter is permitted to vote once and only once;
- Give instructions in the method of voting when requested by a voter;
- Give assistance to illiterate and physically disabled voters;
- Maintain order in the polling place throughout the day;
- Tally the vote after the polls are closed; and to certify the election results in that precinct.
How May I Become An Election Judge?
Contact the County Clerks Office by phone or email and express your interest in serving as a Judge of Election. Election judges are vital to the conduct of efficient and honest elections to which voters are entitled.
Call us at (217) 384-3724.
Email us at email@example.com