Register By Mail
Requirements to Register to Vote
- You must be a citizen of the United States
- You must be at least 17 years of age on or before the date of the next primary and be at least 18 years of age on or before the date of the next election
- You must reside in your precinct for at least 30 days prior to the election
- Not be convicted and in jail
- You must not claim the right to vote anywhere else
Mail-In Voter Registration Form
A Mail-In Voter Registration Form PDF download, is available from our web site.
If you have never registered to vote and choose to complete a mail-in form, you must vote the first time in person at your polling place on election day or at any of the early voting locations and times. You will be required to show identification that has the address where you registered. If you receive mail at a PO Box, please include this information with your street address.
Acceptable forms of identification that you will need to provide the first time you vote:
- A current and valid Government issued photo ID.
- A college issued photo ID with either a copy of the applicant's lease or any mail, showing the delivery address, delivered to the applicant at that address. Students living in dormitories may present a "Move In" notice or a Room Assignment card from the University of Illinois Housing Department.
- A current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that shows name and address
- A Voter Registration Card is NOT an acceptable form of identification.
When you register by mail your mail-in form must be postmarked by midnight, prior to the close of registration, which is 28 days prior to an election.
Where to Obtain Application to Register by Mail
- Champaign County Clerk's Office
- Some banks
- Some libraries
- Driver's License facilities
- Parkland College
- University of Illinois campus