Marriage License and Name Change Information

The Marriage License should be returned to the County Clerk's Office by the Officiant of the ceremony within ten days of the date of the marriage. The blue bordered cream-colored Marriage Certificate will be given to you by the Officiant as a keepsake record; however it serves no legal purpose.

Once the license is received in our office, you may request a certified copy. The statutory fee for a search of the Vital Record Files is $16.50 which entitles you to one certified copy of the requested document. Additional copies of the same document, if requested at the same time, may be obtained for $13.00 each. You may make your request in person with photo identification at the County Clerk's Office between 8:00a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, by mail with a copy of your photo identification and the proper remittance enclosed in the form of a Certified Check, Cashier's Check, or Money Order made payable to the Champaign County Clerk, or online. Your request will be processed within one business day. The mailing address is: Champaign County Clerk, 1776 E. Washington, Urbana, IL, 61802.

Changing your name is not required. If you wish to change your last name, some of the places to contact are:

Social Security Administration - Social Security Forms. You will need to provide evidence of your name change. They will only accept a certified copy of the marriage license which would be returned to you after verification. The office is located at 101 S. Country Fair Dr., Champaign, and their phone is (217) 398-5399 or 1-800-772-1213.

Secretary of State Driver's License Facility - You will need to provide evidence of your name change. They will also accept a certified copy of a marriage license from the County Clerk's Office. Contact your nearest facility.

County Clerk - Voter Registration in the County in which you will be residing. If you are currently a registered voter, changing your address and not your name, you may complete a Change of Address Card or write the new information on the back of your current Voter Identification Card and return it to the County Clerk's office. If you are changing your last name you must re-register to be eligible to vote. Two forms of identification showing your name are required, with one showing your permanent address.

Please call us if you have any questions or need further information. Our office extends to you best wishes for a bright and happy future.